Monday, June 14, 2010

June 4-Our first day

It took 9 months, but I sold my home in Seattle---just in the knick of time. We had signed agreements, in March, to work in Yellowstone National Park for the summer season. We were to report there on June 8th to start training. The house closed on May 27th, so we moved out of there and into our Raptor 5th Wheel the next day.  Now we have a couple of days to head east to Gardiner, MT.  We will be in training there for a week and then it is off to Grant Campground to live and work as “Guest Service Agents”.

This is not the type of job I am used to doing. I am more the “back office” kind of gal. So this will be a challenge for me.  Bill has been pointing out opportunities for me to develop some customer service skills, but it is tough when one’s nature is to be cranky.  Bill, on the other hand, has experience dealing with the public. Unfortunately, he would rather NOT!  Like he says, “But I am retired…. I don’t want to work."  But we can't think of a much more beautiful place to be than Yellowstone.  For years I have thought that it would be a dream come true to actually spend a summer working and living in the park--and now it is actually happening-- WOW!!!

Our 5th wheel is a Raptor toy hauler.  Bill had sold the Harley and gone into deep mourning for weeks. So we now have a Can-Am trike. It has been great fun. We haven’t spent as much time on it as we would have liked, mainly because of the weather, but expect to use it a great deal in Wyoming.  Here is an interesting fact.....WA is the only state that requires a special endorsement to drive a trike.  Bill got his and I have a permit. 

Nelly has a ways to go in her transition to a traveling indoor cat, she is used to having the run of the neighborhood. The Raptor has lots of places for her to explore without the outdoors.  Here the outdoors is not friendly to small critters.  It will be interesting to see how she reacts to the animals she will see in our campground.

Right now, we are in eastern WA. The sun is warm and the sky is blue. Everyone here has taken naps so we should be good to go. Here’s hoping you are all enjoying some sun and a nap or two!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment